Earlier today Apple finally released AirPlay 2 with iOS 11.4. A feature that is all about multi-room audio around your home. It allows you to wirelessly stream audio (including music) from your iPhone or iPad to multiple AirPlay 2-enabled speakers around your home.
While compiling a list of speakers which have, or will have AirPlay 2, one speaker stood out for its price – the Sonos One.
The Sonos One is a relatively new smart speaker by Sonos, known for their range of multi-room audio speakers. It joins the Sonos home system by bringing a range of smart features for “music lovers”. This includes support for AirPlay 2 which will also bring support for Siri, Apple’s voice assistant technology. Plus access to more than 80 music services, such as Apple Music, Spotify, and more.
For example, if you had a Sonos One set up in your bedroom, you could ask Siri on your iPhone to play music in the bedroom.
Its price is where it will make it extremely appealing for those who want to start their multi-speaker collection throughout their home. It costs just A$299 in Australia, which is A$200 cheaper than Apple’s HomePod speaker.
Sonos One can be purchased from leading retailers around Australia, including JB Hi-Fi, Harvey Norman, or even online at Amazon Australia. You can also view a list of AirPlay 2 compatible speakers here, or learn more about HomePod at Apple’s website.
Sonos One Features
- Will work with Apple’s AirPlay 2 technology
- Supports 80 services including Apple Music.
- Designed from the ground up to deliver surprisingly rich sound from a speaker of its size.
- Driven by two Class-D digital amplifiers, one tweeter, and one mid-woofer.
- Includes a six-mic array and an adaptive noise suppression algorithm to focus on the right person and ensure the voice service understands everything clearly.
- Voice capture technology with echo cancellation allows the speaker to still hear you over the music. The volume also intelligently lowers, or “ducks,” when you speak to it so you don’t have to shout over the music.
- The light on the speaker will be illuminated if the microphones are active. The light is hardwired to the same circuit that powers the microphone array, so if the light is off, it means the microphone is off.
- Owners can use Trueplay to easily tune Sonos One to sound great no matter where it’s placed in the home.
- Sonos One is available in all-white and all-black matte finishes.