In addition to iOS 10 and macOS Sierra, the next major software update to the Apple Watch has been unveiled by Apple, which brings significant new features, and performance improvements to the Apple Watch.
“Favourite apps launch instantly and are simple to access, and the breakthrough new fitness and health features like the Breathe app make it feel like a whole new watch.” – Apple
watchOS is the software side of the Apple Watch, similar to iOS on the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. The new software update will be available to every Apple Watch as a free update later this spring.
Major New Features
watchOS 3 is aimed to make the Apple Watch faster and simpler, while at the same time bringing brand new features in the area of health – a big part of the Apple Watch.
The performance and navigation of the Apple Watch will receive a welcomed improvement with apps loading instantly, a new Dock to launch favourite apps, a new and improved Control Centre, the ability to start a workout much quicker, and more.
Fitness & health – a major part of the Apple Watch – also has new abilities and improvements with watchOS 3. Motivation through social engagement is now possible via the ability to share your exercise progress with friends, family or even personal trainers – you can earn achievements, and have competitions.
The activity app, which displays your daily progress, is now optimised for wheelchair users with the Apple Watch – the “time to stand” reminder has been changed to “time to roll,” along with workouts that are specific to wheelchair users.
Performance & Simpler Navigation
- New Dock of your favourite apps
- Your favourite apps now load and display information instantly
- New and improved Control Centre
- Start a Workout or skip a song much quicker
Health & Fitness
- Share your fitness and health with friends, and family for social engagement, and motivation
- Activity app now optimised for wheelchair users with reminders, and workouts specific to them
- An all-new Breath app encouraging short deep breathing sessions
- Receive stickers, handwriting, full-screen effects, and invisible ink messages (As seen in iOS 10)
- Smart replies are now even faster
- New scribble feature to quickly write words
- SOS feature to call emergency services
- More watch faces including Minnie Mouse, Activity, and a new simple elegant Numerals face.
You can see all the new features of watchOS 3 from Apple.
watchOS 3 will go through a testing process by developers before becoming available for the general public. While no date has been set the availability of the new update worldwide (including in Australia), it will be sometime in early Spring.